Monday, October 7, 2013

Ordinary: Wonder Response

 "I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year old kid, I mean, sure, I do ordinary things. I eat ice cream. I ride my bike. I play ball. I have an XBox. Stuff like that makes me ordinary. I guess. And I feel ordinary. Inside. But I know ordinary kids don't make other ordinary kids run away screaming in playgrounds. I know ordinary kids don't get stared at wherever they go."                                                                                - August Pullman

In Wonder by R. J. Palacio, August Pullman has a serious facial deformity. He's never been to school, due to his constantly having surgeries. But this year, he's ready. But it's a nightmare for the young boy: he is neglected. No one gets near him, speaks to him, or even touches him. However, it's for the best: he can't be homeschooled his entire life! And if it wasn't for his older sister Via, August wouldn't even be going to school.

Via is very protective towards August (or as she calls him, Auggie). Anyone who does so much as steal a quick glance at August's face will receive a glance of hate from Via in return. I think this isn't just because Via has a kind heart; I think it is because Via feels very lucky to look the way she does: dark, long wavy hair, a skinny body. I also think she is trying to make people feel bad about themselves for not realizing how lucky they are as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Via was mentally scolding them for not seeing August as the ordinary kid he is.

This is important because without Via's protection and motivation, August probably wouldn't be able to handle school (where the looks of disgust happen very often). August thinks about Via often, and if she wasn't so supportive, I think August would be more self-conscious -- and a lot less brave than he is.

Via is a very significant character in the book, and VERY important to August. Without Via, August wouldn't survive middle school. Via sees August as ordinary, and wishes others saw him that way as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment